Eating in season is an important topic that involves adapting our eating habits according to the seasons. It has several benefits for our health and the environment. Ingredients harvested in their respective seasons are naturally packed with essential nutrients that the body requires. They contain higher levels of vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants compared to produce grown in artificial conditions or transported over long distances.
Here are some tips for eating in season:
- Explore seasonal offerings: Discover which foods/ingredients are in season during different times of the year. Information can be found on websites, in books, and at local farmers' markets.
- Grow your own food: You can cultivate a variety of produce in your own garden, on a balcony, or even in pots. This allows you to enjoy your own harvest.
- Store and preserve: Storing seasonal goods is a way to prolong their lifespan. For instance, freezing berries for future smoothie recipes.
- Meal planning: Plan meals based on seasonal ingredients.
- Choose local and sustainable options: Look for seasonal produce from local farmers to reduce transportation distances and support them.
By following these tips, you can enjoy fresh, nutritious, and flavorful ingredients for your Superfood recipes!
Sources: Eating in season https://www.slu.se/centrumbildningar-och-projekt/futurefood/food-facts/mataret/