In today's society where health and well-being are high on the agenda, more and more people have started to become aware of how diet affects body and health. An important aspect of the diet is acidic and basic foods. In this blog we explore what is meant by acidic and basic foods, their health benefits and examples of foods that are acidic or basic.
What are acidic and basic foods?
Acidic and alkaline foods refer to the acid-base balance in the body. Our bodies are naturally slightly acidic, but eating too many acid-producing foods can cause an imbalance and lead to health problems. Therefore, it is important to have a balanced diet between acid-producing and base-forming foods.
Benefits of an alkaline diet
A balanced diet with more basic foods than acidic can have several health benefits, including:
- Normal Digestion: An alkaline diet can help reduce inflammation and improve digestion.
- Normal Kidney function: When we eat too much acidic food, our kidneys have to work harder to filter out the excess acid. An alkaline diet can reduce stress on the kidneys and improve their function.
- Maintain the energy: An alkaline diet can help increase energy levels and improve fatigue and exhaustion.
- Normal bone health: An alkaline diet can help prevent osteoporosis by reducing the amount of calcium eliminated from the body.
- Increase resistance to chronic diseases: A balanced diet with more basic foods can help reduce the risk of chronic diseases such as heart disease, cancer and diabetes.
Which foods are acidic or basic??
Knowing which foods are acidic or basic is essential to maintaining a balanced diet.
Here is a list of some common foods and how they affect the body's acid-base balance:
Vegetables (spinach, broccoli, cabbage), fruit (apples, bananas, oranges, blueberries), legumes (lentils, chickpeas), nuts (almonds, cashews), seeds (chia seeds, sunflower seeds).
Here are some recommendations on alkaline superfoods and their benefits that you can use in your daily diet:
- Blueberry- Blueberries are a source of antioxidants, flavonoids and vitamin C. They can help improve memory and cognitive function, and can also help reduce the risk of heart disease.
- Kale - Kale is a source of vitamins, minerals and antioxidants. It is also high in fiber and can help improve digestion and reduce inflammation.
- Avocado - Avocado is a source of healthy fats, fiber and vitamins. It can help improve heart health, reduce inflammation and improve skin health.
- Chia seeds - Chia seeds are a source of omega-3 fatty acids, antioxidants and fiber. They can help reduce inflammation, improve digestion and lower blood sugar levels.
- Quinoa - Quinoa is a source of protein, fiber and antioxidants. It's also gluten-free and can help improve heart health, lower blood sugar levels and reduce inflammation.
- Spices - Certain spices, such as turmeric and ginger, have been shown to have anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties and can help improve health in various ways.
Meat (beef, pork, chicken), dairy (milk, cheese, yogurt), grains (wheat, rice), sugar (soda, candy, baked goods), caffeine (coffee, tea).
It is important to remember that there is no single food that can provide all the nutrients that the body needs. Even if a food is acidic, it does not mean that it is bad for health. A balanced diet that includes a variety of foods, superfoods including vegetables, fruits, proteins and healthy fats, is important for maintaining good health. That's why we at Superfood & berries have focused and adapted our products, to supplement your diet e.g. if you want to supportthe stomach, its hormonal balance, immune system, skin & hairetc.
Eating a balanced diet with more alkaline foods can have several health benefits, including improved digestion, increased energy, better bone health, and reduced risk of chronic disease. It is important to know which foods are acidic or basic in order to maintain a balanced diet. Including a variety of alkaline foods in the diet, superfoods including vegetables, fruits, nuts and seeds, can be a good start to achieving a more balanced diet.
Harvard Health Publishing. (2018). The truth about acidic foods and the alkaline diet.
Medical News Today. (2019). What are the benefits of an alkaline diet
Healthline. (2021). Acidic vs. alkaline foods: What's the difference?
The Swedish Food Agency. (2019). Dietary advice for adults.
Cure. (2019). Acidic or alkaline diet
Dietitian.net. (2019). Acidic or alkaline diet is there any point in eating alkaline Retrieved fromn